Disclaimer: This is a list compiled by a biased town girl who grew up on Key Parkway.
- You hung out on one of the many stoops of Elmwood Terrace…
- You’ve had conversations with the Elmwood Terrace security officers like you were longtime friends…
- You used to attend the annual summer carnival at Frederick Towne Mall as a youngster.
- Middle of the night walks to Giant Eagle on warm summer nights were routine.
- You remember the Frederick Towne Mall as the heart of the Golden Mile.
- Later in life, you and your friends walked around Frederick Towne Mall as an intuitive habit, all the while knowing there wasn’t shit in there…
- E-Wood and CPM each had a respective crew.
- You’ve walked a block to get chicken wings and fried rice from Hot Wok after the school bus dropped you home.
- You snuck into the Hoyt’s movie theater at least twice.
- Denny’s and McDonald’s were the hang out spots until the wee hours of the morning…or until they kicked you out.
- You have devoured Casa Rico’s fried ice cream.
- You’ve sampled the Giant Eagle candy isle.
- You’ve walked/ran/scurried/abruptly stopped, across the longest and never-ending crosswalk of the strip (at the Hillcrest Drive light) and almost faced your death.
- The Manor was once the great wooded adventure in which you and your next door neighbors had gotten lost and ran for your life convinced you had been bitten by a snake on numerous occasions.
- You knew all the shortcuts and back alleys: The landslide behind Hawthorne Square houses to the Lake Coventry basketball court that is quite messy when wet, the dirt road and neat steps from Hickory Hills apartments to the Waverley Elementary sports field, the convenient passageway between the Elmwood Terrace apartments and FTM that many consider quite dangerous at night, the rather abrupt and reckless dirt slope where the fence ends from Giant to Giant Eagle…
- Your grandmother made you walk to Waverley Beer and Wine store to buy her scratch offs.
- The penalty for missing the Transit bus was one hour and a torturous trip through the entire city of Frederick.
- You used the Red Horse, no not the inn the actual horse, as a landmark when giving directions to your home.
- You paid $2.00 on Thursdays at Holiday Cinemas to catch a flick.
- You knew Motel 6 as Holiday Inn.
- You ordered a Gyro from Gyro King.
- You pronounce Baughman’s Lane with a G.
Do you agree or disagree? Comment your favorite 40 moments!
You may be interested
Writer’s Block.Kiki Wilson - Apr 21, 2019
In 2014, I founded Writer's Block, a creative writing workshop for the incarcerated at the Hagerstown Correctional Institution, a medium-security state prison for men.
Remembering Pops…Kiki Wilson - Apr 16, 2019
Trevor Frazier, 24, widely known as Pops, and musically known as Mr. Chavez, a competitive battle rapper, passed on April…